Friday 26 August 2016

Eggplant Lasagna - Low carb

Eggplant Lasagna



I have tried to make eggplant lasagna from recipes online before, only to end up with a puddle of vegetable liquid at the bottom of my pan. Not this time! This time I nailed it!!! lol  Here are my ingredients, and this is how I did it :) 

Eggplant Lasagna


Ingredients


  • 1 large eggplant
  • 1 jar low carb pasta sauce, or make your own. 
  • 1 lb. of ground beef
  • 2 -3 cups grated mozzarella
  • 1 container of Ricotta cheese 
  • 1 package sliced Portobello mushrooms (about 2 medium caps).
  • Parmesan cheese
  • ¼ cup chopped parsley
  • Olive oil
  • Himalayan sea salt
  • Oregano
  • Paprika
  • Garlic powder
  • Italian herb seasoning

Preparation:


  1. Preheat oven to 400F
  2. Slice eggplant lengthwise into ¼ or slightly thicker slices. Brush with olive oil, place in a foil-covered baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, and roast for about 15-20 mins
  3. Remove from oven and set aside.  
  4. Brown Portobello slices in olive oil. Set aside.
  5. Brown meat in some olive oil (very little if any), with some salt, a pinch of oregano, and ½ tsp. paprika. Set aside.
  6. In a bowl, place Ricotta, a couple pinches of Italian seasoning herbs, ½ tsp. garlic powder, ½ tsp. salt, ¼ cup chopped parsley. Mix well and set aside.
  7. Preheat oven to 450F
  8. Divide the eggplant into 3 layers, and the meat, ricotta and mushrooms into 2 portions each.
  9. In an oven safe baking dish put ½ to 1 cup of pasta sauce, and layer as follows:      A layer of eggplant, a layer of ricotta, a layer of meat, a layer of Portobello, a layer of mozzarella, and spoon a little bit more sauce over that. Repeat the layers one more time. Finish with a third layer of eggplant, and top with a few more Tbsps. of sauce and the last of the grated mozzarella.
  10. Bake in a preheated 450F oven, uncovered, until heated trough, and the liquids and sauce are bubbly around the edges and the top layer of cheese is melted. You can even wait till the top layer starts to brown a little bit. I was just hungry and couldn’t wait any longer :D hehe

I served mine with a Tbsp. of sauce on top and sprinkled with parmesan. You can also sprinkle some parsley on top. I put mine on the side. The slices were big enough that I didn’t need any sides with this.

Nutrition count to follow, since I wasn’t planning on posting this one, so I’ll have to work out my numbers before I can post an idea :D



Thanks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment